Honey and Ginger Tofu Fried Rice
This is such a fabulously easy and quick dinner to throw together. Adapt the recipe to use whatever produce you have on hand. You’ll get the best results if you use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the fridge prior to starting.
A big thanks to our friend, Kelly Gibney for creating this great recipe for us.
- 1 Packet Bean Supreme Honey and Ginger marinated tofu
- ½ onion – finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove – finely diced
- 1 rounded teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 red capsicum – cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium carrot – cut into think matchsticks
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cold cooked rice*
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 spring onion – green part thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- To serve: sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into 1cm wide slices and then each slice into thirds. Heat a glug of oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat. Cook the tofu slices until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan and set aside until needed.
- Wipe out the pan, add another generous glug of oil and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes until the onion is lightly golden. Raise the heat to high.
- Add the capsicum and carrot. Cook, tossing regularly for 1 minute. Add the peas, rice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add more oil if needed. Cook, moving constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Mix through the tofu and spring onion. Remove from heat, season with salt and serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- *You’ll get the best results from your fried rice if you use rice that has been cooked and cooled previously. Ideally cook the rice the day before (I often have some in the freezer for this favourite speedy meal. If you do need to make it on the day, you can cook it and then cool rapidly by spreading out on plates and cooling in the freezer.