Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 x pack Bean Supreme Sausages (for this recipe we used the rosemary sausages)
- 2 x sheets vegetarian puff pastry
- ½ white onion
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce or BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- 2 Tbsp milk of your choice
- Preheat oven to 200°C on bake or fan forced setting.
- Dice white onion and fry over medium heat fry pan with 1 tsp of oil for 3-4 minutes until the onions go pale and soft. Put to one side to cool.
- Open sausage pack and put in a large mixing bowl
- Add 2 Tbsp of tomato sauce or BBQ sauce, cooled cooked onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- With clean washed hands mix all the ingredients together. Get stuck in and squeeze everything together! You need to mix it well at the start and everything will come together nicely after 2-3 minutes of mixing.
- Cut sheets of pastry in half lengthways.
- Take 1/3 of your sausage mix and arrange it into the centre of the piece of cut pastry, then roll the pastry over the sausage mix and form it into a sausage shape.
- Cut long sausage rolls into approximately six pieces for bite-sized sausage rolls, or three pieces for larger sized.
- Arrange sausage rolls onto a baking paper-lined baking tray. Separate the sausages out with at least 2cm gaps.
- Lightly brush the pastry tops with your milk of choice (this will help make them go golden when cooked). Sprinkle over the sesame seeds for garnish.
- Put sausage rolls into the hot oven and cook for 25-30 mins or until the puff pastry is risen and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 mins. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce!
Added extras: This simple sausage mix can be jazzed up in many ways. Feel free to add a ½ cup of grated cheese to make cheesey sausage rolls or if you want to hide some veggies in here for the kids you can add ½ a cup of grated carrots and courgettes. Just fry off the added veggies at the start with the onions then add them to the sausage mix when cooled.